What makes a person more likely to become an addict? There are a number of contributing factors that increase the likelihood of becoming an addict:
- Destiny: The negative destiny of the person has a large part to play in a person becoming an addict. Each of us is born with a predetermined destiny based on our deeds from previous lifetimes. The negative destiny we have can manifest by making us addicted to or dependent on various substances. This is guaranteed to give us pain and ensure that we live a sub-standard life.
- Demerits: An addict is likely to have more demerits versus merits. By demerits we mean the accumulation of various demerits or sins from previous births as well as the present to be played out in this birth.
- Type of ancestors: Some families have departed ancestors who were addicted while on Earth. Some descendants in these families have a high intensity of give-and-take account with such departed ancestors. The departed ancestor who is now a subtle-body in the afterlife takes advantage of this give-and-take account to possess the descendant and consume the desired substance (using the descendant as a medium).
- Time: According to time, i.e. a particular period in a person’s life when they are spiritually more vulnerable. People become vulnerable spiritually when there is a lack of spiritual practice, a greater number of wilful demerits or a high amount of ego.
- Spiritual development: People of a lower spiritual level are more prone to attack. It is extremely rare that a person doing consistent, quality spiritual practice according to the six basic principles of spiritual practice is or will become an addict.
- Affinity: A person’s intense liking for a substance, thing or activity makes them more vulnerable to being possessed by an entity.
- Spiritual level of the parents: The higher the spiritual level of the parents, the less the impact on the embryo at the time of conception (see article: How addictive behaviour is caused during pregnancy itself).
Source: Spiritual research conducted by the Spiritual Science Research Foundation.
SSRF’s Comment: As we can see, most of the factors listed above have a spiritual root cause. Even if the cause initially starts off as a psychological attraction to the substance or thing, it very quickly can be taken advantage of by entities in the spiritual dimension. Spiritual practice is the only way to effectively overcome problems where the root cause is spiritual in nature.