SSRF has published this case study on Eczema on one’s hand’ with the intention of providing some direction to our readers with regard to problems that manifest at a physical or psychological level, but which can have their root cause in the spiritual dimension. When the root cause of a problem is spiritual in nature we have observed that the inclusion of spiritual healing remedies generally gives the best results. SSRF advises continuation of conventional medical treatment along with spiritual healing remedies for the treatment of physical and psychiatric illnesses. Readers are advised to take up any spiritual healing remedy at their own discretion.
Table of Contents
John was suffering from eczema on his hands from the past 23 years. By chanting the Name of Lord Datta, the eczema on his hands began to reduce almost immediately. One of Lord Datta’s responsibilities in the Universe is alleviating distress caused due to subtle-bodies of ancestors. Within two weeks the hand was back to a healthy state with no sign of eczema.
John is not his real name and has been used for privacy purposes.
1. Interview with John about eczema on his hands
Interviewer: Thank you for joining us John. Can you please describe in brief, the history of your eczema on your hands?
John: I have had eczema on my hands since the age of 19. It came on suddenly, without any explainable cause. It was very stubborn and did not respond to any medication. I have been to at least six skin specialists in Australia and overseas. After sometime, I gave up and resigned myself to live with the problem. The only medication that I use from time to time is cortisone ointment, which is a topical cream to be applied externally. This is to alleviate the itching.
The eczema is extensive on the left hand, a bit on the right hand and also a bit on the left foot.
Interviewer: How old are you now John?
Interviewer: So you have battled this for 23 years?
Interviewer: When did you last visit a skin specialist or a doctor with regard to eczema on hands?
John: 3 months back because it got pretty bad and I was in constant pain.
Interviewer: What do the skin specialists say about the stubbornness of the eczema? What explanation do they offer for it not going?
John: Well there have been different views but none of them know the cause. Some of them have said it is stress induced. Others have said it is genetic and due to my ethnicity. I am originally from Greece. They have told me that people from countries in the Mediterranean quite often have this problem. Their advice to me is more about management of the skin disorder than cure. They have recommended various dietary regimes which are quite impractical.
Interviewer: Have you ever had any relief from the eczema during these 23 years ?
John: Yes, once when I had gone back to Greece for the Olympics in 2004. My uncle put some Holy water (Tirthā) on my hand. The Holy water began to foam a bit and there was partial relief from the symptoms and a clearing up of the skin.
Interviewer: I see your hand is quite healed now, can you please tell us how this happened?
John: Well a colleague of mine, Sean, was giving a lecture in Melbourne, Australia on how the spiritual dimension affects our lives. I was quite intrigued by the topic. He explained that there are a number of factors that can contribute to difficulties in life. What really interested me was when he said that problems that are chronic and do not go away with modern sciences may well have their cause in the spiritual realm. Immediately after the lecture, I spoke to Sean and showed him the eczema on my hand.
Interviewer: What did he recommend?
John: Well, he told me to start the spiritual practice of chanting the Name of God according to my religion of birth. As I am a Christian, I was advised to repeat Lord Jesus. Along with this I was also told to repeat the Name of ‘Shrī Gurudev Datta‘ for one and a half hours on a daily basis. He said that it was the aspect of God that protected us from ancestral problems. As there was a very strong likelihood of the cause being spiritual, Sean requested if he could take a photograph of my hand before I started the treatment. These are pictures of eczema on John’s hands taken on 11th of July 2006. It is actually in a slightly better condition as I was applying a steroid cream.
Interviewer: Can you explain the course of spiritual treatment?
John: I started immediately after the photograph was taken. I did two things; I chanted Lord Datta’s Name for about half an hour and Lord Jesus’ Name for another half hour. I could not manage any more time for chanting even though Sean asked me to chant Lord Datta’s Name for one and a half hours. Even then, the change in my hand was almost immediate and it began to heal the very next day. The itching and the pain stopped. Incidentally I stopped application of the steroid cream before starting chanting, just to see for myself if chanting alone would be effective. Here are the pictures of the hand after six days of continuing the same chanting for the same duration on a daily basis.
Interviewer: There has been quite an improvement. Has it ever been this good?
John: No it’s never been this good.
Interviewer: Were there any side-effects?
John: No, but while chanting I would feel very tired and it was a battle to chant.
Interviewer: How can you be sure that the chanting caused the reduction in symptoms?
John: Well, actually after the pictures of the eczema on my hands were shot, I stopped chanting for the weekend. The symptoms immediately flared up. Also off and on, I would feel guilty about chanting Lord Datta’s Name as I was a Christian. I would feel I was being disloyal, even though Sean explained to me that it was a chant specifically to overcome ancestral problems and that it was to be done in conjunction with chanting the Name of Lord Jesus. The symptoms came back a number of times as I stopped chanting Lord Datta’s name out of guilt. The symptoms began to reduce almost immediately whenever I restarted chanting the Name of Lord Datta, i.e. ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’. There was a strong co-relation between the chanting of Lord Datta’s Name and the reduction of symptoms.
Interviewer: Had you ever heard of Lord Datta before?
Interviewer: Needless to say you would not have any faith in Him, is that right?
John: That is correct. In fact I would say that I would feel guilty chanting His Name as I thought I was being disloyal to my religion.
Interviewer: Thank you for your time John and all the best with your spiritual practice.
John: Thank you.
2. Summary comments from a spiritual perspective about John’s eczema on hands
- John’s case is a typical problem that can be caused by ancestors who have passed away. The reason they cause it, is to try and communicate to the descendants to help them. Unfortunately most of us do not have an advanced sixth sense and are ignorant about the spiritual causes of difficulties in life. As a result, we cannot see the root cause of the problem as actually ‘a call for help from our ancestors’ to do some spiritual ritual for them to help them overcome their obstacles in their after life.
- Some people who are advised to chant Lord Datta’s Name feel guilty or disloyal to their religion. From a spiritual perspective the cause of this feeling is totally psychological and unfounded. To give you an analogy it is like feeling guilty about taking a medicine that is manufactured in a different country.
- The feeling of tiredness experienced by John is quite normal. As the positive energy from chanting fights with the spiritual problem, it can have some side-effects such as lethargy, headache or tiredness.
- Faith is not a necessary prerequisite for a spiritual remedy to work. However faith accelerates the healing process. The mechanics of how a spiritual remedy works is as simple as taking aspirin to get relief from a headache. The only difference is that in the case of a spiritual remedy the mechanism of cure is at a spiritual level.
- Application of Holy water, Holy ash (Vibhūti) etc. along with chanting Lord Datta’s Name may in some cases accelerate the healing process in the case of skin disorders caused due to ancestral problems.
Note: To download the audio file, please right click on the image and click “save link as / save target as”