Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction to giving an Autosuggestion
- 2. How to give an Autosuggestion (AS)
- 3. Frequency of Autosuggestions in a day
- 4. Points to remember when giving an Autosuggestion
- 5. Duration for which 1 set of Autosuggestions should be taken
- 6. Incorporating Progress and Emergency Autosuggestions in a session
- 7. Conclusion
- 8. Appendix
1. Introduction to giving an Autosuggestion
In our section on Personality Defect Removal (PDR), we have explained how giving an Autosuggestion (AS) is a powerful tool that can bring about transformative positive changes in one’s personality. We provided 7 types of Autosuggestions that are tailor-made to the personality of a person and the situation that is giving him stress. These Autosuggestion types are A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, C1 and C2.
So, after one has identified and chosen the personality defect (or shortcoming) in one’s personality that one wants to address and work upon – then the next step is training one’s mind to behave in an appropriate manner by giving an Autosuggestion to the subconscious mind.
In this article, we provide 2 methods of how to conduct this vital step of the PDR process, which is – how to give an Autosuggestion. This is so that you can gain the maximum benefit from this technique and thereby experience a better quality of life.
2. How to give an Autosuggestion (AS)
2.1 Method 1 – Using chanting and prayer to achieve a state of relaxation
|Step||Description of the action||Duration (mins : secs)|
|1||Say a prayer : “O God, please let this Autosuggestion reach my subconscious mind, remove all obstacles with regards to this Autosuggestion and let me imbibe qualities by giving this Autosuggestion.”||0:30|
|2||Chant the Name of God1||2:00|
|3A||Give the AS for the 1st chosen defect (repeat 5 times)||1:30|
|3B||Give the AS for the 2nd chosen defect (repeat 5 times)||1:30|
|4||Express gratitude – “O God, I express my deep gratitude to You for getting this AS done through me. Please let me persevere in giving the AS every day.”||1:00|
|Total duration for giving the AS||6:30|
Note 1 : You can chant the name of God as per the religion of your birth. Refer to ‘Start your spiritual journey’ to learn what Name to chant.
Step 1 : Begin the AS with a simple prayer : Saying a prayer as given above is important as in doing so we seek God’s blessings for giving the AS and for it to be effective.
Step 2 : Chanting the Name of God : It is recommended that one chants the Name of God for 2 minutes. Chanting helps the mind to achieve a state of concentration. Usually the mind is flooded with various thoughts, and therefore it is not in a receptive state to receive and imbibe the Autosuggestion. Chanting the Name of God attracts and generates Divine Energy, which has a positive effect on the mind. When one chants, the impulses coming to the conscious mind from the subconscious mind reduce and concentration increases. Thus, the mind becomes ready to receive the Autosuggestion.
Step 3 : Reading the first Autosuggestion 5 times : In the beginning stages, it is recommended that one takes a maximum of two personality defects to work on at a time. So, for example, one could choose 2 personality defects to work on such as jealousy and forgetfulness. Therefore, one would frame one Autosuggestion for each of the chosen personality defects. In this step, one can repeat the Autosuggestions 5 times each, first the one on jealousy, followed by the one on forgetfulness.
It is important to note that all other Autosuggestion techniques (A1, B1, B2, C1 and C2) except the A3 Autosuggestion should be read 5 times. In the case of the A3 Autosuggestion, as it is long, it is required to be read only once.
Information about the different types of Autosuggestions is given here.
Step 4 : Expressing gratitude : The session ends with a simple prayer of gratitude to God for getting the Autosuggestion done through us.
2.2 Method 2 – Going into a trance to achieve a state of relaxation
In the PDR process, suggestions can also be given to the subconscious mind while in a trance. Here, by trance, we mean a state of physical and mental relaxation. In this state, the barrier between the conscious and subconscious minds opens up and the suggestion positively influences the subconscious mind. We have given the techniques of going into a trance to achieve a state of relaxation in the Appendix to this article. It is important to know that for this process, the aspect of relaxation is only 5-10% important whereas the therapy (i.e. giving suggestions) is 90-95% important. So, one need not be unduly concerned about the depth of relaxation.
Every Autosuggestion session lasts for about six to seven minutes. The break-up of the time is as follows :
|Step||Steps in taking an Autosuggestion||Duration (mins : secs)|
|1||Going into a trance (refer to Appendix)||0:30|
|2||Thinking about the progress (when it occurs)||0:15|
|3A||Therapeutic suggestions based on any two of the following techniques – A1, A2, B1 and B2 (each suggestion is to be repeated 5 times)||1:30|
|3B||Therapeutic suggestions based on technique A3||3:30|
|4||Getting out of the trance (refer to Appendix)||0:15|
|Total duration for giving the AS||6:00|
Please note :
- Any two or three of the manifestations of defects in one’s personality, requiring the use of techniques A1, A2, B1 or B2 can be included in a session. One has to repeat each suggestion five times.
- As it takes longer to give an A3 Autosuggestion (3-4 minutes), in each session one should only take one A3 AS. Unlike other AS, which are repeated 5 times, the A3 AS should only be said once per session.
- We can do at least 3-5 sessions in a day – early morning, morning, afternoon, evening and night. The more the sessions, the faster the cure.
- Suggestions can be given to children too in the first 4-5 minutes of their sleep, as this state resembles that of a hypnotic trance.
3. Frequency of Autosuggestions in a day
- The steps listed above in section 3 constitute one Autosuggestion session.
- One session of giving Autosuggestions can take about 5 to 7 minutes depending on whether 1 or 2 personality defects have been selected.
- When one is beginning with the Personality Defect Removal process, we suggest that one can take about 3 – 5 such sessions in a day. For convenience and so that one does not forget to do a session, the sessions can be done after having meals.
- For a seeker who has been practicing PDR for over 1-2 years, one can increase the sessions to 8-10 in a day.
- The more the number of sessions, the greater is the effectiveness in overcoming the personality defects.
- Also, one important point to remember is that in the initial stages, there should be a gap of a minimum of 2 hours between 2 Autosuggestion sessions. This is so that the mind does not get saturated and can grasp the Autosuggestion being given. Please note that if you are planning to do 8-10 Autosuggestion sessions in a day, then the gap in between sessions can be reduced to 1 hour.
- Several of these 5 to 7-minute sessions in a day can bring about significant positive changes in our personalities. It also relieves the mind of stress and unhappiness.
4. Points to remember when giving an Autosuggestion
- Autosuggestions can be given in one’s mother tongue or the language one prefers. This increases the receptivity of the mind to accept the Autosuggestion.
- It is better to get Autosuggestions corrected by someone before starting to take the sessions. SSRF satsangs offer free assistance in helping with all the steps of PDR including the framing of Autosuggestions. This is because when it comes to one’s own mind, sometimes one is unable to remain objective.
5. Duration for which 1 set of Autosuggestions should be taken
- One set of Autosuggestions can be framed for 1-2 personality defects (for example, if we are working on jealousy and forgetfulness, we can frame a set of Autosuggestions, which contains one for each defect). The AS to counter the two defects one is working on can be continued for 1 to 1.5 months.
- When beginning with a particular set of Autosuggestions, one should assess how he or she is feeling after giving 1-2 sessions and as to whether the mind is accepting the perspective as per each Autosuggestion.
- If the mind is receptive, then the same set can be continued for 1-1.5 months.
- If not, then one can take help to change the perspective or change a few words to help the mind accept it.
- If the mind starts feeling saturated by the same set of Autosuggestions after 15 -20 days, then a fresh set of Autosuggestions can be framed for the same personality defects by choosing other incidents.
6. Incorporating Progress and Emergency Autosuggestions in a session
6.1 Progress Autosuggestions
As one starts practising the PDR process and taking Autosuggestions, positive changes can be observed in one’s personality. The defects one is working on start to reduce. Moreover, when we interact with others, they may observe some positive transformation in us. All these positive changes can be included in an Autosuggestion known as a Progress Autosuggestion. More information about Progress Autosuggestions can be read at – Progress Autosuggestions – coming soon.
The sequence in a session : In a session, the Progress Autosuggestion should be given after prayer and chanting and before any other Autosuggestions. It only needs to be said once, and thereafter one can continue with the other Autosuggestions that need to be repeated 5 times each.
6.2 Emergency Autosuggestions
Emergency Autosuggestions are applied in emergency scenarios to overcome the mind’s reaction towards the situation or event. They are taken when there is an urgent need to overcome an emotional disturbance and regain one’s calm or just to prepare the mind for emergencies.
The preparatory types of Emergency Autosuggestions can be taken as one of your regular Autosuggestions in your current set of Autosuggestions. So, the sequence will be as follows :
- Repeat Autosuggestions
- Progress Autosuggestion (only once)
- Emergency Autosuggestion (5 times)
- Regular Autosuggestion for the 1st defect (5 times)
- Regular Autosuggestion for the 2nd defect (5 times)
- Prayer of gratitude
The other types of emergency Autosuggestions are taken in the actual event when you are emotionally disturbed, or you are facing an imminent emergency.
In these cases, you would temporarily discontinue any other Autosuggestions you are taking to take the emergency Autosuggestion. In this case, you would read the emergency Autosuggestion 3-5 times in a single Autosuggestion session. You continue taking the emergency Autosuggestions as often as possible, including up to every 30 minutes, until the emergency is overcome. Then, you can resume taking the Autosuggestions you were taking before.
More information about Emergency Autosuggestions can be read at – Emergency Autosuggestions – coming soon.
Giving Autosuggestions to the mind on a regular basis weakens the severity of the impressions of personality defects. The mind starts accepting and assimilating the positive suggestions given rather than being dictated by the impulses from defects. It is a very simple yet potent tool to inculcate positive personality traits which enhances the quality of not only your life but those of the people you interact with.
In this section two forms of going into trance have been covered – Autohypnosis and Heterohypnosis.
8.1 Appendix 1 – Autohypnosis exercises
Autohypnosis : A self-induced hypnotic state also known as self-hypnosis
Exercise 1 : Physical and mental relaxation – light trance
Progressive relaxation technique Induction of a trance : ‘I am looking at the dot and thinking of my own thoughts. As I keep on looking and thinking, my entire body will relax and because of that my mind will relax. It is a pleasant feeling.
While looking at the dot, I am concentrating on the sensation in my feet. They are becoming relaxed. That sensation is slowly spreading upwards.
My ankles are becoming relaxed.
My knees are becoming relaxed.
My thighs are becoming relaxed.
The relaxation is spreading throughout my body.
My abdomen is becoming relaxed.
My back is becoming relaxed.
My chest is becoming relaxed.
My arms from the shoulders to the fingertips are becoming relaxed.
My neck is becoming relaxed.
My head is becoming relaxed.
My eyes are becoming tired. Now I am going to count 1, 2 and 3. At the count of 3, I will close my eyes and relax. I will be able to give myself suggestions and will be able to wake up at will. 1……2……3 (close the eyes)’.
Therapeutic suggestions : They depend on the problem or the target.
Getting out of the trance : ‘Now I am going to count 1, 2 and 3. At the count of 3, I will open my eyes. I will be in a cheerful and relaxed mood. (If you are very anxious or depressed, instead of saying ‘I will be in a cheerful and relaxed mood’ say ‘I will be less anxious or depressed’.) I will remember everything and will be able to put the suggestions into practice. Next time, I will be able to go into a further and deeper state of relaxation. 1……2……3 (open the eyes)’.
Exercise 2 : Deep trance
Conditioned counting technique The subject should sit comfortably looking at the dot on the wall and think of the following sentences :
Induction and deepening of a trance : ‘Now I am going to count 1 to 10. At the count of 3, I will close my eyes and relax. With each successive number, I will relax more and more. At the count of 10, I will be able to go into the deepest possible state of relaxation and will be able to concentrate fully on what I am thinking. 1……2……3 (close eyes)…..4……5……6……7 ……8……9 ……10’.
Therapeutic suggestions : As in exercise 1
Getting out of the trance : As in exercise 1
Advantages of the conditioned counting technique
- A person can do sessions anywhere – in a bus, train or office as there are no odd movements such as tightening of the fist or rotation of the arm. Hence the number of sessions one can do in a day can be increased. The more the number of sessions, the earlier is the target achieved.
- When a person uses exercise 1, it takes about three minutes to get into a trance. On the other hand, this technique requires only about twenty seconds to induce a trance. This reduction in induction time helps in two ways.
- In an emergency, e.g. becoming tense before an examination or an interview, it is relatively easier to count from 1 to 10 and relax as compared to doing exercise 1.
- Ordinarily the duration of a therapeutic session should not be more than five to six minutes as beyond that, it becomes difficult for most patients to concentrate on the suggestions. If three minutes are spent on just the induction and deepening of a trance, the time available for the therapeutic suggestions will only be two to three minutes. On the other hand, when a subject uses the conditioned counting technique, he can devote practically all the five to six minutes to give the therapeutic suggestions.
8.2 Appendix 2 – Heterohypnosis exercises
Heterohypnosis : Hypnosis induced by another person, or by programmed CDs, tapes, videos or related technologies. In effect, it is a form of guided self-hypnosis where a person may be helped by a psychologist to go into a trance.
Exercise 1 : Physical and mental relaxation – light trance
Progressive relaxation technique
Induction of a trance : ‘You are looking at the dot and listening to my voice. As you keep on looking and listening, your entire body will relax and because of that your mind will relax. It is a pleasant feeling.
Breathe in slowly ……… hold your breath ……… breathe out slowly (to be repeated thrice).
While looking at the dot, concentrate on the sensation in your feet. They are becoming relaxed. That sensation is slowly spreading upwards.
Your ankles are becoming relaxed.
Your knees are becoming relaxed.
Your thighs are becoming relaxed.
The relaxation is spreading throughout your body.
Your abdomen is becoming relaxed.
Your back is becoming relaxed.
Your chest is becoming relaxed.
Your arms from the shoulders to the fingertips are becoming relaxed.
Your neck is becoming relaxed.
Your head is becoming relaxed.
Your eyes are becoming tired. Now I am going to count 1, 2 and 3. At the count of 3, you will close your eyes and will continue to listen to my voice. 1……2……3 (close the eyes)’.
Therapeutic suggestions : They depend upon the problem or the target.
Getting out of the trance : ‘Now I am going to count 1, 2 and 3. At the count of 3, you will open your eyes. You will be in a cheerful and relaxed mood. (If the subject is very anxious or depressed, instead of saying that he will be in a cheerful and relaxed mood, he may be told, ‘You will be less anxious or depressed’.) You will remember everything and will be able to put the suggestions into practice. Next time I do the session, you will be able to go into a further and deeper state of relaxation. 1……2……3 (open your eyes)’.
Exercise 2 : Deep trance
Conditioned counting technique Just ask the subject to sit comfortably looking at the dot on the wall while you say the following sentences to him.
Induction and deepening of a trance : ‘Now I am going to count numbers 1 to 10. At the count of 3, you will close your eyes and relax. With each successive number you will relax more and more. At the count of 10, you will be able to go into the deepest possible state of relaxation and will be able to concentrate fully on what I am saying. 1……2……3 (close eyes)…..4……5……6……7 ……8……9 ……10’.
Therapeutic suggestions : As in exercise 1