1. Tattoos – an introduction
For many people today, tattoos have a personal, symbolic, aesthetic, ethnic or cultural meaning, or are a statement of their individuality. Tattoos have found their way into mainstream fashion trends and are now common to both men and women of all age groups and backgrounds.
While many of us may have at some point admired a particular tattoo design or decided we wanted one ourselves, we would not have been aware of the effect that tattoos have at a spiritual level. To understand what happens when a tattoo is worn, SSRF conducted spiritual research on tattoos.
2. Spiritual research on tattoos
A seeker who has advanced sixth sense ability, Mrs. Yoya Vallee, studied the spiritual effect of tattoos. She created the drawing based on subtle-knowledge below. The drawing based on subtle-knowledge explains the effect of a tattoo close to the Vishuddha-chakra.
The drawing based on subtle-knowledge has been verified for accuracy by H.H. Dr. Athavale.
The effect of tattoos is the same regardless of where it is drawn on the body.
From a spiritual perspective, tattoos have a harmful effect on us. The following are the reasons for the harmful spiritual effect of tattoos:
- Most people tattoo their body out of fashion and this causes enticing energy (Mohini-shakti) to be attracted to it. As a result, emotionalism and attachment to the external world or the Great Illusion (Maya) increases.
- The majority of tattoo designs are not sāttvik .That is why they activate distressing energy.
- Tattoos increase the proportion of distressing energy in the environment and make the individual physically and spiritually restless. Also, the covering of distressing energy around the individual’s body increases by 1.5%.
- The possibility of negative energies (ghosts, demons, devils etc.) affecting the body, mind and intellect of the individual who has a tattoo on their body increases due to the tattoo.
- Tattoos also increase heat in the body. An increase in heat can represent an increase in the proportion of Raja-Tama in the body (coolness represents an increase in the proportion of Sattva).
- Showing the tattoo to others can increase ego.
3. In summary – practical tips about tattoos from a spiritual perspective
The key points to understand from this study of tattoos:
- From a spiritual standpoint there are no benefits to having a tattoo on the body.
- Tattoos remain on the body permanently and so if the individual does not perform spiritual practice, then the possibility of distressing energy affecting us increases.
- If one already has a tattoo, it is best to protect oneself from its harmful effects through regular spiritual practice. With spiritual practice, the distress experienced due to tattoos can be reduced.
- As a person progresses spiritually then matters pertaining to the physical body have less significance.