Definition of an eclipse: An eclipse is an astronomical event that occurs when one object in the sky moves into the shadow of another. The term is most often used to describe either a solar eclipse, i.e. when the Moon’s shadow crosses Earth’s surface, or a lunar eclipse, i.e. when the Moon moves into the shadow of Earth.
Abstract: Solar and lunar eclipses are significant events at a spiritual level. There is an increase in Raja-Tama which has negative effects on humanity. Ghosts take advantage of the heightened Raja-Tama to create a variety of issues that have global negative repercussions. Regular spiritual practice ensures that we are insulated from its subtle (intangible) harmful effects.
Please note: To understand this article you need to be familiar with the article on Sattva, Raja and Tama – the three subtle basic components of the Universe.
You can watch a video summarising the spiritual effects of an eclipse here:
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Type of eclipses
- 3. Spiritual significance of a Solar or Lunar eclipse
- 4. Repercussions of a solar or lunar eclipse
- 4.3 Impact of Solar and Lunar eclipses at an individual level
- 4.4 Impact of eclipses at the level of humankind
- 5. Practical do’s and don’ts to counteract or minimise the negative effect of an eclipse
- 6. In summary
Every year we witness a number of solar and lunar eclipses that are either partial or total. The visibility of any given eclipse is usually limited to some geographic area on Earth. Viewing an eclipse generates much interest in the wider community and this prompted us to also understand if there is a spiritual or subtle intangible significance to it. We conducted spiritual research to understand the spiritual significance and the effect of eclipses on mankind.
2. Type of eclipses
The first thing that came to light through spiritual research is that physical (apparent to our eyes) eclipses as mentioned above are not the only type of eclipses. There are subtle (intangible) eclipses too. These subtle eclipses are caused by the powerful ghosts (demons, devils, negative energies, etc.) called subtle-sorcerers (māntriks) from the 5th to 7th region of hell by the use of their supernatural powers and are only apparent to those with an advanced and active sixth sense.
Powerful ghosts create subtle eclipses by creating a barrier of subtle black negative energy between either the gross, physical Sun and the Earth or between the subtle Sun and the Earth.
Every heavenly body that we can see such as the Earth or Sun also has a subtle body. This is akin to the subtle body that a human has that envelops the physical body. Refer to the section on subtle body and what we are comprised of.
The physical and subtle Sun are governed by the Sun Deity. The Sun Deity is that aspect of God that controls the functioning of all the Suns and other stars in the Universe. The Sun Deity in its source form is unmanifest. The Sun Deity manifests through the Absolute Cosmic Fire Principle (Tējtattva) and materialises as the Sun we see in the sky, lightning and fire on Earth. All living beings are dependent on the Sun as one of the Sun Deity’s main functions in the Universe is to provide light and radiance in the Universe.
There are subtle eclipses on the moon too but their impact on the Universe is much less as compared to that of the solar eclipse.
By creating a barrier between the Sun and the Earth in a subtle eclipse, powerful subtle-sorcerers interfere with the function of the Sun and hence increase the Raja-Tama on Earth.
Out of all the eclipses that take place 70% are subtle eclipses and 30% are physical eclipses. Humankind (including the best astronomers) is only aware of the 30% physical eclipses. Thus humankind is in total ignorance about the subtle eclipses.
Only people who are above the 50% spiritual level and with an advanced and active sixth sense can perceive the presence and the subtle effect of the subtle eclipse. The average person cannot perceive the subtle intangible effects of a subtle eclipse.
The negative impact of a subtle eclipse on humankind is 9 times more powerful than that of a normal physical solar or lunar eclipse.
3. Spiritual significance of a Solar or Lunar eclipse
Spiritual research has shown that in the case of all eclipses there is a rise in the Raja-Tama and a reduction in the Sattva component. This rise in Raja-Tama has many detrimental side-effects at a subtle (intangible) level which may not be noticeable in the physical plane initially. However these Raja-Tama laden conditions are made use of by ghosts to harm society.
Due to the Sun being obscured by a subtle barrier in front of the gross or subtle Sun during an eclipse, there are two significant spiritual impacts:
- The environment becomes conducive for negative energies to amass black energy. Black energy is a type of spiritual energy that is the primary weapon of attack of ghosts.
- The environment is most conducive for negative energies to utilise their black energy to harm humankind during the period of the eclipse as well as to sow the seeds of destruction of humankind. Refer to section 4.4
3.1 Why is there an increase in Raja-Tama with a solar or lunar eclipse?
The increased Raja-Tama happens due to two reasons:
- In the case of physical eclipses, the reason for increased Raja-Tama is due to the fact that during an eclipse the light from the Sun or the Moon is obstructed even before it reaches the Earth. This darkness is an anomaly in the general cycle of day and night wherein a period that should have been in light is now in darkness. In fact, the spiritually detrimental effect of the phenomenon of night is equivalent to just 2% as that of an eclipse. This is insofar as the negative energies’ ability to use the darkness and its resulting increase in Raja-Tama to harm society.
- In the case of a subtle eclipse, a higher order of ghosts creates a black negative energy barrier between the Sun and the Earth and also directly attacks the subtle Sun. This obstruction again causes an increase in Raja-Tama.
3.2 Why do solar eclipses cause more Raja-Tama?
The Sun is far more important to life on Earth than the Moon. By obstructing it at a subtle or physical level, the environment on Earth becomes far more vulnerable at a subtle intangible level and thereby more conducive for ghosts (demons, devils, negative energies, etc.)
3.3 What is the relative increase in Raja-Tama from an eclipse?
The following table gives the difference in the proportion of the three subtle basic components on average in the current era of the Universe (i.e. Kaliyug) and in the event of an eclipse. The figures are indicative of Raja-Tama generated in event of a partial eclipse of 30% severity and which occurs at a physical level.
The percentage increase in Raja-Tama varies depending on the type of eclipse i.e. partial or total, whether it is a solar eclipse or a lunar eclipse and whether it is a physical or subtle eclipse. The following chart gives the increase in Raja and Tama components as a physical eclipse goes towards being a total eclipse.
In the case of subtle eclipses the Raja-Tama will be about 5% more.
3.4 How long does the effect of the increased Raja-Tama from a solar or lunar eclipse last?
The Raja-Tama increase during an eclipse has a residual effect that subsides over many months. In the chart below, we have shown how long the excess Raja-Tama generated by a partial eclipse of 30% takes to subside.
4. Repercussions of a solar or lunar eclipse
4.1 Where is the subtle impact of the eclipse maximum?
The maximum subtle impact of an eclipse on humans depends on where it is most visible. The more visible it is, the greater the subtle impact on people in that region.
Thus if an eclipse were to be most visible in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it would have least subtle impact as it is a minimally populated area.
4.2 Raja-Tama increase assists activities of ghosts (demons, devils, negative energies etc.)
During an eclipse period, the power of distressing energies increases by 1000 times as compared to other times. This is because ghosts harness the excess Raja-Tama generated by the eclipse to amass black energy either by utilising the conditions to do more spiritual practice to gain negative spiritual black energy or by stealing the spiritual energy of seekers of God. Black energy is spiritual energy which is used to harm society. The following is a drawing based on subtle-knowledge that shows how black energy is collected.
Refer to the section on ‘why we have protective borders’.
The above subtle vision explains what happens at a subtle intangible level during an eclipse. In the subtle negative regions of Hell (Pātāl), higher order ghosts (demons, devils, negative energies etc.) called subtle-sorcerers (i.e. from the 2nd region of Hell downwards) make use of the increased Raja-Tama during the eclipse to do spiritual practice like sacrificial fires (yadnyas) or meditation to harness spiritual black energy. The black energy generated by various subtle-sorcerers flows towards the 7th region of Hell where it is stored. These flows of black energy are all interconnected.
In the subtle positive regions, the subtle bodies of Sages are engaged in meditation. Divine consciousness (Chaitanya) flows from the higher positive regions to combat the increased Raja-Tama on Earth. Thus a subtle battle between the forces of good and evil ensues on the Earth plane.
4.3 Impact of Solar and Lunar eclipses at an individual level
At the time of an eclipse, people are more likely to be affected by their departed ancestors. In many cases, departed ancestors create problems in their descendants’ lives. To do this departed ancestors take advantage of the excess Raja-Tama and the heightened black energy created by ghosts at the time of an eclipse.
Refer to the article on ‘Why would my departed ancestors want to trouble me?’
It is for this reason people may experience lethargy, tiredness, sickness etc. at a physical level. At the psychological level, there are excess emotional and negative thoughts, especially about spiritual practice. The moon is known to affect the mind. During a full moon, the effect is even more pronounced. This is further accentuated when there is a lunar eclipse. Thus the combination of the full moon and lunar eclipse is severe. However it happens at a subtle intangible level, i.e. people suffer distress by negative energies.
There is a general decline in decision-making capacity and people are more likely to make incorrect decisions as the intellect is also affected.
4.4 Impact of eclipses at the level of humankind
As mentioned earlier, ghosts use the excess Raja-Tama generated from an eclipse to collect black energy. They use this black energy to harm humankind in various ways. They do this by sowing seeds of destruction and harm at a subtle intangible level that only manifest in the physical plane after a gestation period. This gestation period can be anywhere from a few days to several years. Examples of this would be sowing seeds of pandemics of contagious diseases like Bird Flu and the Ebola Virus or sowing seeds of the third World War.
Eclipses contribute in a large way by providing circumstances conducive to amassing the black energy that ghosts have. In our article on World War 3 Predictions and Armageddon, we mentioned that the world will go through a World War and major natural disasters between the years 2015 and 2023. It will be accompanied by an unprecedented loss of human life. The main catalyst at a subtle intangible level for World War III will be higher-level ghosts. They will orchestrate these events through their black energy influencing man to wage war against his fellowmen. Up to 30% of all their black energy will be gathered at the time of eclipses. The following table shows a breakdown of the factors that will help make the environment conducive for ghosts to create their black energy.
- By present era we mean the present times of the Era of Strife (Kaliyug). The Universe goes through cyclical stages of destruction caused primarily due to excess Raja-Tama. The Raja-Tama on Earth having reached a peak between the years 2002 to 2012 has primed Earth for a spiritual cleansing period.
- By humanity’s actions we mean the Raja-Tama predominant evil deeds of humankind. Refer to the section ‘The three subtle basic components and our lifestyle’.
5. Practical do’s and don’ts to counteract or minimise the negative effect of an eclipse
During an eclipse there is a heightened amount of black energy flowing around and hence an excess of Raja-Tama. Even if we do not have the sixth sense to perceive it, it is best that we modify our actions during an eclipse to counteract the subtle (intangible) harmful effects.
Natural disasters and Eclipse: Earthquakes, floods, epidemics, famines, etc. take place when the collective sin increases, to punish the ones responsible (for the increase in sin) and the ones who do not take any measures to overcome the situation. These disasters come suddenly. As a result one does not get the time to think of saving oneself from such disasters. On the contrary, for known events such as an eclipse we can save ourselves from its ill-effects by doing spiritual practice. For this it is necessary that during the period of the eclipse (i.e., from the start to end of the eclipse) one should do spiritual practice.
– H.H. Dr Athavale (Inspiration to SSRF)
- Doing spiritual practice helps to nullify the effect of the increased Raja-Tama and black energy in the environment due to an eclipse.So if a person is doing intense spiritual practice (as per the six basic principles of spiritual practice) during an eclipse:
- He will still be affected by the adverse spiritual effect of the eclipse up to 20%.
- However, to counteract the rise in Raja-Tama and black energy, the amount of divine energy from God that can be accessed by him is 50% more.
- Thus the net total is a positive 30%.
Accordingly, people who make the effort to do intense spiritual practice during the time of an eclipse will benefit up to 30 % more spiritually.
- Don’t plan important functions: All actions and thoughts come under the purview of the subtle basic components, i.e. they are either sāttvik, rājasik, tāmasik or a combination of them, e.g. rajasik-tamasik. All good and auspicious actions are predominantly sattvik or rajasik-sattvik. As a lot of Raja-Tama frequencies are transmitted during the eclipse period, good actions done during this period do not yield expected results. Hence it is advisable to avoid all important actions like inaugurations, important business deals etc. during an eclipse period.
- Reduce Raja-Tama activities: Avoid doing things like sleeping, going to the toilet, having food, sexual intercourse as they are Raja-Tama predominant and only leave us more vulnerable to getting affected by departed ancestors and ghosts.
- Avoid Eating: The increase in the subtle basic Raja-Tama in the atmosphere during the period of an eclipse affects food as well as the digestive processes. Hence it is advisable to avoid meals during the period of the eclipse.The time period when we should avoid meals depends on the type of eclipse. This is because the amount of sunlight or moonlight reaching Earth depends on the percentage area of the Sun or Moon covered during the eclipse.
The amount of time one should avoid meals during an eclipse:
- Total eclipse 12 hours prior to the onset of eclipse
- If it is ¾ covered 9 hours
- If ½ covered 6 hours
- If ¼ 3 hours
If during moonrise, the moon is going to be eclipsed then one should not have food in the previous 12 hours. So also, if the sunrise is going to be in a state of eclipse (irrespective of the type of eclipse), then the period of fasting should start 12 hours earlier. This is because various subtle processes are set into motion approximately 12 hours before an eclipse. If the sun or moon sets in a state of eclipse, then one should have meals only on the next day after taking a bath. Small children, elderly and ill people can observe this period for just 4 and 1/2 hours.
6. In summary
- An eclipse is an important spiritual event that has lasting adverse effects that are capitalised upon by ghosts.
- One needs to take all spiritual precautions especially if the eclipse is visible over where one lives.
- Regular spiritual practice done throughout the year, helps to reduce the adverse effect of an eclipse. In addition if one does intense spiritual practice during the eclipse it can even be positive, so far as individual spiritual growth goes.