In our day-to-day life, while carrying out every action, we are always aware of our own existence as it is deeply ingrained in us. This awareness of us is through our 5 senses, mind and intellect. Accordingly all events occur or are experienced in relation to this awareness itself. In spiritual terms we call this existence the little ‘i’. On the other hand we call the soul (atma) or the God within us the big ‘I’. As we start to do spiritual practice we begin to perceive a higher power, i.e. God working in our lives. As we progress spiritually there is an increase in this awareness of God in our lives and around us. There is also a reduced focus on our own existence or the small ‘i’. Spiritual emotion (bhāv) is replacement of the ‘i’ in one’s life by the awareness of the existence of God or the Guru (the Teaching principle of God) with equal intensity. An intense awareness of the existence of God or the Guru in any form when carrying out day-to-day life activities based on this feeling and experiencing life based on this background is referred to as spiritual emotion towards God or the Guru.
Research articles on awakening spiritual emotion
- Read how prayer helps with awakening spiritual emotion.
- Chanting God’s Name helps with awakening spiritual emotion.
- Being in the company of the Truth or satsang helps with awakening spiritual emotion more rapidly.
Related videos and tutorials
- A video on how praying with spiritual emotion affects us.
- Who is considered a seeker of God? What qualities or features like awakening spiritual emotion are needed for spiritual growth?
- Increase your awareness of how the spiritual dimension influences our lives and why spiritual practice like awakening spiritual emotion is a necessity.
Transformation of seekers through awakening of spiritual emotion
Maria overcame difficult destiny and progressed spiritually to achieve a continuous state of spiritual emotion.
Christie managed to calm manifestations of a negative entity possessing her through intense efforts at awakening spiritual emotion.
Auritro experienced awakening of spiritual emotion after starting spiritual practice that helped him to overcome desires to use drugs and alcohol.
Experiences of seekers related to awakening spiritual emotion
Maya experienced intense awakening of spiritual emotion of gratitude along with subtle fragrance and taste while reading articles on the SSRF website.
Therese experienced awakening of spiritual emotion, radiance and got a subtle sweet taste in her mouth while chanting when walking down the street.
Guruprasad overcame OCD by making sincere efforts at awakening spiritual emotion in day-to-day activities.
Swati overcame fear and timidness by awakening spiritual emotion and through other steps in spiritual practice.