Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Background information
- 3. A note about greetings that involve touch
- 4. Spiritual research into hugging another person
- 5. Efforts to minimise any detrimental spiritual effect of a hug
All over the world, hugging is recognised as a common form of greeting. Depending on culture, context and relationship, a hug can indicate familiarity, love, affection or friendship. One person may also hug another as an indication of support, comfort, and consolation. In some cultures and for some people, especially between strangers, a hug may not be the norm and can be considered an invasion of private space. There has been extensive research carried out and literature published on the psychological benefits of being hugged. While most people have an innate physical and emotional need to be touched and hugged, especially by their loved ones, there is very little understanding of its spiritual consequences. In this article we share our findings gained through spiritual research on hugging another person.
2. Background information
At the outset, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with our article on a spiritual perspective on greeting. It provides key background information to understand this article. The article explains how we are more prone to an exchange of subtle-energies when a greeting includes the aspect of touch. Through spiritual research, we have found that most people are affected to some extent by negative energies. As a result, it is very likely that the exchange of subtle-energies between two people touching or hugging is spiritually detrimental. Most of us cannot perceive this detrimental effect, as we do not have the sixth sense ability to do so.
3. A note about greetings that involve touch
When a greeting involves the aspect of touch, the following can be kept in mind. The use of touch enhances the transfer of spiritual or subtle-energies up to 100%, when compared to a greeting that does not involve touch. (Staring into each other’s eyes can also instigate a transfer of subtle-energies, depending on the types of negative energies involved.)
|Type of contact||Ease of energy transfer||Example of greeting|
|Skin to skin||Energy transfer easier||Handshake, hug|
|Skin to mouth||More energy transfer than skin to skin||Kissing of hand or the cheek|
|Mouth to mouth||Most energy transfer||Kissing mouth to mouth|
Refer to the article on the “Spiritual perspective on a kiss”.
4. Spiritual research into hugging another person
4.1 Various scenarios in the case of hugging
The following table provides the various scenarios we can come across in day-to-day life, the likelihood of it happening, and the possible outcome.
|Types of scenarios with regards to hugging||Probability of it happening in day to day life||Most likely outcome|
|Possessed person hugging another possessed person1||Low to medium||Extremely Negative: The possessing negative energies embracing each other give rise to even more black energy. At a subtle-level, the environment is affected, as well.
Spiritual distress of both people increases and the strength of the negative energy centres at the Anahat-chakra increases.
|Possessed person hugging an average person who is affected by negative energies
|Medium||Extremely Negative: The negative energies in the possessed person can very easily infect the other person being hugged.
The possibility of spiritual distress in the average person increases, and the possibility of physical as well as mental distress increases.
Refer to the drawing based on subtle-knowledge in section 4.2
|An average person affected by negative energies hugging another average person affected by negative energies2||High||Mostly negative: While there is no actual exchange of negative energy, the interaction is generally detrimental, giving rise to distressing vibrations because of:
|Hugging a spiritually positive person who is above the 60% spiritual level and doing regular spiritual practice.||Rare to Low||A positive healing effect will take place on the person who hugs the person at the 60% spiritual level.|
|Hugging or being touched by a Saint||Rare||A positive healing effect will take place on the person hugging a Saint. An example of this is Her Holiness Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, also lovingly known as ‘Amma’ or ‘the hugging Saint’. When people have been hugged by Amma, they have experienced positive spiritual experiences.|
- Approximately 30% of the world’s population is possessed by negative energies and the other 70% is affected. Read more
- Almost all people are affected by negative energies to some extent, which create a black covering around them. The effect of negative energies on people becomes minimal after they attain the 60% spiritual level.
4.2 A drawing based on subtle-knowledge of a possessed person hugging an average person
The following drawing based on subtle-knowledge, which shows the spiritual effect of a hug, has been drawn by Mrs. Yoya Vallee, a member of SSRF’s spiritual research team. Using her advanced sixth sense of vision, Yoya provides us with a glimpse of the interplay of subtle-energies when a woman who is possessed hugs a man who is mildly affected by negative energies.
Refer to the article - What are drawings based on subtle-knowledge.
The table below provides the details behind each of the aspects in the above drawing based on subtle-knowledge. Refer to the article on chakras to acquire a better understanding of the table below.
|1||Creation and activation of a ring of distressing energy at the heart chakra (Anāhat-chakra)|
|1A||Emission of black particles of distressing hazy black energy through the heart chakra|
|2||Creation and activation of a thick black covering around the body|
|2A||Creation and activation of a ring of distressing energy at the mid-brow chakra (Ādnyā-chakra)|
|2B||Emission of a ring of distressing energy from the mid-brow chakra|
|2C||Creation of a ring of distressing energy at the heart chakra|
|2D||Emission of hazy waves of distressing energy through the heart chakra|
|2E||Complete encompassing of the heart chakra by the covering of the ring of distressing energy|
|2F||Creation of a hazy black energy covering around the head|
|2G||Spread of a hazy flow of distressing energy around the person in a circular manner|
|2H||Increase in the black energy covering around the body|
|2I||Creation of a ring of black energy at the heart chakra|
|3||Illusory (māyāvi) waves encircling the people, giving them a false sense of feeling good|
|4||Creation and activation of a ring of enticing (Mohini) energy|
|4A||Creation of a ring of enticing energy at the heart chakra|
|4B||Creation of a ring of enticing energy around both persons, giving them a false sense of attraction|
As you can see from the above explanation, hugging a person who is possessed by negative energies is extremely detrimental to us.
4.3 Additional points on the spiritual repercussions of a hug
- When two people embrace, there is a subtle-friction caused when their mental sheaths intersect/collide. This generally creates distressing vibrations which can be taken advantage of by negative energies to affect the people involved in a hug. Refer to the article ‘What are we comprised of?’
- Even if two persons, practising Spirituality, and are minimally affected with any black energy, distressing vibrations can be generated. For example, two seekers on different paths to God, such as one on the Path of Knowledge and the other on the Path of Devotion, have separate types of vibrations. When these different vibrations come in contact with each other, they can give rise to distressing vibrations.
- Hugging a person who is grieving is most likely to be spiritually detrimental, as a grief-stricken person attracts negative energies.
- Hugging mentally ill patients will mostly have an adverse spiritual effect for the person hugging. Mentally ill patients have a high likelihood of being affected or possessed by negative energies.
4.4 Hugging of children
Given the above information gained through spiritual research on the effect of a hug, what then is the perspective in the case of children? Being hugged and touched by their parents is important for the emotional well-being and development of children. Young children will also naturally hug their parents when they feel threatened by an unfamiliar person or situation.
Unfortunately, children and their parents are just as prone to negative energy exchanges when they come into contact with each other. The child who is possessed can affect the parent and vice versa. Hence, spiritual precautions as mentioned in section 5.2 should be incorporated.
5. Efforts to minimise any detrimental spiritual effect of a hug
5.1 Impediments to putting spiritual measures into practice
In order to incorporate measures to overcome the detrimental effect of a hug or touch as a form of greeting, it is important to take the above information seriously. However taking this information seriously might be obstructed by the thought, “I have hugged people all my life and nothing untoward has happened, so this information can’t be true or must be an exaggeration.” This line of thinking will only undermine any efforts to protect oneself from any detrimental spiritual effects from a hug. For this, it is prudent to bear the following points in mind:
- The majority of people have minimal sixth sense ability and are enveloped with a black energy covering, to a greater or lesser extent. This makes them unaware of or insensitive to the exchange of subtle-energies.
- Hence, for people who cannot perceive the subtle-aspect, arguing about it is as futile as a patient arguing with a doctor that no viruses exist. This stems from the fact that the average person does not have the sixth sense ability and is accordingly ill-equipped to perceive subtle-energies.
- A hug, psychologically gives us feelings of wellbeing and happiness however, we cannot get Bliss (Ānand) from it.
- The average person is only tuned to perceive the psychological benefits of a hug which provides some level of happiness. As they cannot perceive subtle-vibrations, the feeling of happiness outweighs any ability to perceive the subtle-exchange of energies however negative they may be.
- The need for touch is a psychological requirement and not a spiritual requirement for the embodied Soul.
5.2 Remedies to overcome any detrimental effect of a hug
Hugging loved ones is something we may not be able to avoid and may not want to avoid, in spite of being aware of the above spiritual research. SSRF recommends the following to minimise the spiritual risk of a hug:
- Limit hugging to only those you really have to hug.
- Do not engage in hugging any and every one as a psychological remedy, as you will not know whether the person you are hugging is indeed possessed by negative energies.
- Regular spiritual practice helps to provide a protective sheath around us that makes us resilient to the negative spiritual effects of the environment. Continuously chanting the Name of God is an easy spiritual practice that protects us at a spiritual level, as we go about our daily activities and come in touch with people in various spiritual states.
- Prayer is beneficial for protection from negative energies affecting the people we greet. It also helps to prevent the exchange of black energy between negative energies affecting both people.